October 2018: With the abuelos y abuelas




Truly, truly, we couldn't really imagine how we are now without our old folks. Our abuelos y abuelas filled our childhood with pixie dust and magic! This is why I am so blessed that I grew up with my grandparents. Seven lovely years with wonderful people! I still have memories with them like moments when I tag along every time they go to the supermarket. We go to Jollibee every after school or go to their farm every sundays. I also learned so much from them. Music and arts from my lolo and being overly organized from my lola. Swear to God, I miss them both! Sadly, grandma passed away due to cancer, meanwhile grandpa is now living with tita. I wish they're here. Talking about the elderly surely makes me emotional but thanks to this exposure, I never felt lonely when I needed that kind of love and happiness only grandparents could give.

A 3-day activity was held among the Senior Citizens of the three Puroks of Barangay Venus (Puroks Jupiter, Mars and Uranus). As part of our Community Health Problem on Mental Health, we were able to to assess for their mental health status using the Geriatric Depression Scale. We found out that a number of them are probably depressed. We also made them sing with our ukulele to brighten up their mood. It was delighting to see them in harmony as they poured theirs heart into music.

As a saying goes, "Sit listen to the old people talk about yesterday, there's a lot of good information there." But I say, listen to old people, their wisdom could flourish our future.


Article by Meileen A. Bejerano, Level IV Medical Student

 

Spotmap

Spotmap

About

We are nine (9) passionate, dedicated and goal-oriented medical students with diverse personalities who came together to achieve one goal. We are an all-scholar group with the intention to serve God and His people. For the next four years in the medical school, we have a vision to help the people in the community to become self-reliant. Through community participation and cooperation, everything can be achieved. We choose to serve the community. We choose to serve Venus. | web counter hits

SLIDESHOW

1 / 10
2 / 10
3 / 10
4 / 10
5 / 10
6 / 10
7 / 10
8 / 10
9 / 10
10 / 10